Dabbletree

Flower Girl Dress, Part 12: Conclusion

I bought the fabric and supplies over the course of many trips to Jo-Ann's, all the better to maximize my preferred customer coupons. Without the magic of 40% and 50% off coupons, the final tally would have been quite higher. Though I think I could have done with half the tulle I ended up using. The bodice was 22.5" around, and the skirt about 23" at the longest layer, which makes the dress about halfway between at 3T and a 4T.

Final tally:

1/3 yard satin ($2.20)
2 - 1/3 yards broadcloth ($5.10)
2 - 2/3 yards net ($2.20)
2 - 2/3 yards 108" tulle ($6.90)
1 - 1/3 yards organza ($5.80)
9" zipper ($1.30)
thread (stash)
elastic (stash)

TOTAL: $23.50

I also bought a few things I didn't end up needing, to the tune of $10. Oops. Still better than $100! As of March 2012, I could have bought all the fabric I ended up using and had it shipped to me for around $35 on-line. The sash was $10 retail.

If I were to do it again, and wanted to save money, I would reduce the tulle layers to 2 and omit the petticoat skirt with net flounce. A very different, but pretty, dress could also be made by using the skirt lining pattern with an opaque fabric for the top skirt layer and supporting it with a petticoat.

The final version has a satin bodice lined with broadcloth. The top 4 layers of the skirt are bridal illusion tulle, 8' feet around, gathered down to about 2'. Underneath that is one layer of what Jo-ann's describes as "matte net", and underneath that a layer of organza. Both these layers are likewise 8' around. The bottom-most layer is an A-line skirt made of broadcloth. The petticoat is separate, with an elastic waist. It's an A-line skirt made of broadcloth with a 12" flounce made from 2 layers of the net.

I started researching and sewing trial runs around the first of the year, and started working on the dress in earnest on February 2nd. It took about 3 weeks to complete, in 2-4 hour runs on Saturdays and Sundays and the occasional half hour weekday bit of progress.

It took a lot of time and effort, obviously, but I think it was worth it and I certainly learned a lot in the process. And it was quite satisfying to see the finished product looking so simple and inevitable and beautiful. I just wish I hadn't been so busy sighing with relief that I forgot to take a lot of pictures at the wedding!


All the information in this blog series, PLUS bodice pattern pieces, skirt cutting instructions and some additional construction notes have been collected into a single PDF that you can download to save and print.

Visit the Dabbletree Store


- Victoria, 2012-04-21

Previous Blog Entries

Home-made play dough animals

Home-made play dough animals

It turns out homemade playdough is MUCH nicer than the store-bought type. Aside from the pleasant fruity smell from the kool-aid used to dye it, it's proved a lot more resilient.

- Victoria, 2012-04-15

Starter Bread & English Muffins

Starter Bread & English Muffins

My pregnancy came with a bread addiction that has persisted 3 years post-partum. It's a pretty nice addiction to have, Atkins-Smatkins.

- Victoria, 2012-04-11



 

generate your own custom recipe!

Recipe Generator

Generate your own custom recipe for muffins

Paying the Rent



affiliate_link

From the Dabbletree Store

Quilt Calculator photoshop masks